Old 06-10-13, 04:12 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Another thing to consider is that left turning vehicles have a blind spot at the left side of the windshield where the roof post or pillar is. Depending on the angle and speed of their turn, sometimes a pedestrian or bike can be moving at the exact speed to stay hidden as the car turns. So don't assume they see you - try to see if you can make eye contact. More experienced or cautiouis drivers may learn to move their head a bit to ensure they are looking around the post, but not all of them do. So the OP may have been hidden from the driver's view for part of her turn.

This is true as well of cars at fourway stop signs where you are to their left (they are to your right) - they may not see you at your stop sign if you are hidden by the post, and if you start forward just as they do, you may continue to be hidden. There's one four way stop on my route where a park path feeds onto the end of a very short, dead-end street, so almost no traffic comes out of that cul-de-sac, except cyclists coming through the park. I notice that when I go that way, and reach the stop sign (often at the dark tail end of rush hour0, drivers to my right are far less likely to notice me when it is my turn, and yield right of way, compared to drivers to my left, perhaps because their view is compromised.

Last edited by cooker; 06-10-13 at 04:18 PM.