Old 09-13-05, 10:12 AM
slooney

Bikes: Trek 930 mutt (beater) Gary Fisher '98 Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggypsy
I picked up a pair of these old ammo canisters the Army uses. They were cheap, fairly light, and waterproof, so I thought they'd make good pannier bags. Thing is, I don't have the first idea how to go about attaching them to the bike. Ideally, I'd be able to detach them when needed... otherwise, I want them well enough secured on the bike that I don't have to worry about them getting easily pulled off.

Has anyone tried anything like this before, or have any ideas how I could go about this? I don't have too much in the way of tools, but I think it's a cool idea to try.

Oh, and I'm new. Hi!
Ammo cans "fairly light"? You must be incredibly strong!

Where are you located? I could help, if I were close. Many tools.

Failing that, you could rig something using a rear bike rack as the primary support for the cans and some 1/4" threaded rod (hole in can, bolts on rod on both sides of can wall, rod acts as a saddle across the bike rack to support the cans. You can zip tie or bungy the whole shootin' (ha ha) match for stability) or you could manufacture metal hooks which are bolted to each of the cans that hook over the rails of the bike rack.