Old 09-13-05, 12:25 PM
04sctj

Bikes: Sales

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
You can go to almost any sporting goods store & buy a first aid kit that is small enough to fit in a bike bag or jersey pocket. I think you can even find them at places like K-Mart or Target. The contents of the kit are typically in a nylon bag with a zipper so you can keep it closed when you're not using it. They are usually red in color with the white equal sided cross & some of them say FIRST AID KIT on them as well. These kits are more durable then a ziploc baggie & they hold more too. All you have to do as you use the items in the kit is keep it restocked & there is room to add more if you need to.
I've carried a kit like this for years. In addition, in the past couple years I've carried a "road rash" specific kit...I don't remember the brand...got it at either bikenashbar.com or performancebike.com. Anyway, I did have the occasion to use the first aid kit once. I was hammering up the bottom of a hill, out of the saddle cranking pretty hard, at about 15-16 MPH, and the chain slipped off the crank and I went over the handlebars. I sustained a pretty good bloody knee and elbow/forearm. After coming to my senses, I got out my handy first aid kit, cleaned up the wounds, put on bandages and then limped home. Ever since then, I don't go anywhere on my bike without some form of first aid kit.