Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad

I'll grant you that the #1 problem is that people are lazy. But people being afraid is an actual problem that's fairly prevalent as well (look at how many people drive gas guzzlers, and would never buy a Smart Car because "those tiny tin cans are death traps! I'd get run over by an SUV!"). The objective should be to get rid of all irrational or unfounded fear. How to get rid of laziness, that's not so easy, but as you say, if driving becomes less convenient (stop maintaining roads and only maintain bike lanes?) and more expensive (raise gas taxes so US pays like Europe?) then we might see something happen...
I'd say the "I'm afraid" argument is a red herring. In the example I gave of my car pooling buddying being unwilling to bike (it's roughly a whole 2.5miles), it's laziness. He cites how dangerous biking would be as his reason, but I can guarantee you he's completely unaware of the stats. Furthermore, with a little effort, I'm pretty sure we could find a route that's mainly bike paths and back roads. Same guy doesn't mind keeping loaded guns around the house despite the danger, he doesn't seem too concerned that the extra 70lbs he's carrying around is dangerous, doesn't wear a helmet skiing, etc, etc, etc. IMHO, fear isn't the actual problem, it's an excuse masquerading as a reason not to bike.