View Single Post
Old 09-13-05, 07:31 PM
Ink

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for these tips. Very helpful. I haven't looked at components in a while so I feel like I'm a bit in the dark (ages).

Originally Posted by schang
Dia-Compe has recently started making some drop-bar levers that work with v-brakes. I'm sure a quick search here would turn up results. You can probably get some nice affordable tektro v-brakes to go with those and be pretty happy, assuming you can make em line up with your new 700c wheels.
I found those Dia-Compe levers on line. $60, but could be worse! And I found a variety of relevant pics here .

Hard to tell if the Tektros will adjust low enough to work, but they are inexpensive enough for an experiment. Not sure if they would let me keep my front fender... Will look for some of those locally to see (tried to get specs, but Tektro's supposed Web site is Flash Hell).

The new shimano barcons have both index and friction mode, you can find them for either 8 speed or 9 speeds indexing, obviously if you stick with friction you're good either way.
I could be pleased if I could leave freewheel tools at home, so an 8-speed cassette and indexing is probably where I am headed. With a triple crank, that would leave me with 18 I might actually use

For a 1" threaded steerer, the easiest-to-find taller stems (that fit a 26mm road hbar) are the Nitto Technomic and and Nitto Technomic Deluxe. You can find others on eBay, but length of quill is not often a consideration.
Perfect. I think that is the first thing I'll do. The listing on Harris Cyle is like "If you've gotten old and decrepit..." That's me!

Thanks again!

I