View Single Post
Old 09-13-05, 08:51 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a range for life expectancy of a "relatively" well maintained chain? (or.... What am I doing wrong?)

I noticed today that the chain rollers had excessive movement, play and slack around the rivet pins and will have to be replaced.

My ride is a new, 2005 Specialized Roubaix with 105 Shimano components incl. the chain. Since March 2005 to date, I have logged just over a meagre 4,500 kms. (2,812 miles)

Weekly, I clean the chain on the bike with WD40 as a flush only, hose rinse and wipe dry. For lube I used an industrial rated EP oil from Lubriplate, Chain&Cable Aerosol Spray almost daily till the 3,000km. mark. I was told that I was "over" lubricating the chain in this period.
For the next 1,500 kms. I am now using Finish Line KryTech Wax & Cross Country Syn.Oil.

The chain was not skipping and no abnormal wear is noticeable on any gear teeth. Is this the normal life mileage for a Shimano chain? Good, Bad or just about Right?

I consider myself to be a Newbie(52), after a twenty year hiatus from road cycling.
Thanx, Stv