Old 06-18-13, 12:03 PM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmv2
How many cars did you see driving below or at the speed limit? How many cars did you see not signal their intention? How many rolled stops (a stop is a full stop check both directions and proceed)? How many pedestrians "jay walk"?
Generally, people follow the posted limits (Speeding is strictly enforced here).

Nobody follows every rule of the road.
True. But, the law is the law. If you expect motorists to adhere to the laws regarding safe passing distance, etc etc; then you need to be following the same set of laws.

You want to focus on someone who blew a red on their bike and isn't hurting anyone, then sure, do that. But make sure to point your finger and sigh at everyone weaving lanes without signalling and going 20% over the maximum speed limit or rolling through stop signs... they aren't hurting anyone (at the moment) either.
Not everything "hurts someone". The laws don't read,"It's ok, if you don't hurt someone". The laws of the road are there to PREVENT people from getting hurt.

I should go take a video of the highway offramp thats a few steps from here, I could count two cars blowing the red light @ 100kph (50kph zone) while pedestrians are entering the crosswalk. I could also take a video of cyclists going against the one way or rolling stop signs. An accident hasn't happened anywhere near here in the past month or so, so maybe the rules are just a guideline and not to be followed to the T?
So, you caught 2 violations of the laws, so that somehow means it's ok to violate the law for everyone?

An intelligent person would look at it and adapt the rules and infrastructure to correct the problems of all users, but this is of course North America and we need to move as many cars through as effortlessly as we can.
I'm not sure you've noticed, but the average American is fecking stupid. And, half of Americans are stupider than that.

Sorry I mean, cyclists roll through stop signs, why should we pay attention to them as legitimate road users?? I saw one just today! Scofflaw scum slowing my commute!
If we keep preaching it's ok to violate the laws of the road here, how can we expect motorist to not violate the laws of the road concerning cyclists?