Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i don't have experience with other IGH's,
I do.

but i have an Alfine 8 w/ disc brake on one of my bikes and i've never found the removal/reinsertion of the nutted shift cable to be anything close to a PITA.
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Removal of the Alfine 8-speed-equipped rear wheel on my commuter is exceptionally simple/easy--I really don't understand comments like this.
The Alfine is a little better,but it could still be improved.

i couldn't agree more. just because there may exist a simpler method of shift cable removal from another IGH manufacturer, it does not mean that the process to remove the shift cable on shimano's nexus/alfine IGH's is a "PITA" or difficult in any real way. you stick a small allen key in the shift cable holder and pull back on it to relieve tension, then you grab the nutted cable and pull it out of its socket. voila! shift cable disengaged!
Why wouldn't you want anything you do on your bike to be the easiest way to do it? Esp something you may wind up doing at the side of the road,at night,in bad weather?

my lord, what a supreme PITA!!! how could anyone ever hope to wrap their head around such a convoluted and difficult process. i mean, it took me like an entire 10 minutes practicing rear wheel removal with my IGH bike at home before i was able to master the process. that's completely unreasonable. how does shimano expect anyone to realistically accomplish this most impossible of tasks?
Was that necessary? I don't share your opinion,but I'm not going to talk down to you because of it. IGH's offer advantages such as easy shifting and low maintenance. Making them easy to remove/install would make them even better. As I said,I have experience with Shimano's older hubs. The old 7spd Nexus hubs required you to remove a lock ring(which you then had to keep track of),then remove a ring that had the shift cable in it. On installation,you had to line up the gears in the ring with the hub(which could really be a PITA),and reinstall the lock ring. They changed it to where the gear ring was affixed,and just the cable was removed. If I ran the zoo,I would've used the original setup with a quick release upstream on the cable. This would make things much easier. How could that be a bad thing?

If you're happy with the way things are,then fair dinkum. But why do you feel the need to run me down for giving my opinion? FYI,I've e-mailed Shimano with consumer feedback,so it's not like I'm just venting on here,I've tried to effect a change. Maybe if more people complained/gave feedback,Shimano would take note and improve things.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X