View Single Post
Old 06-18-13, 09:10 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
davidmikesell
My plan is to measure a bunch, then drill through the fender, and install it with spacers.
Your plan will work just fine.

I just installed SKS fenders on this Cannondale T2 about a week ago. I have also installed them the same way on a Cannondale T800. The fenders on the T800 have been on the bike for 6 years and there have not been any problems.

Dry fit the fenders and carefully mark the hole where the fender will attach to the wishbone on the frame. use an awl or something sharp to "center punch" the hole location in the center of the fender. Drill.

As one of the posters, urbanescape, suggested, flaten the bracket supplied with the fender. You can locate it to the rear or the front of the fork on the fender. I put mine behind the fork. I think this bracket could be eliminated, and a large washer on each side of the fender would suffice. I might remove it on this bike if I take the fenders off for any reason.

A spacer will lower the fender, and reduce the gap between the fender and the tire. I am not sure what size tire I will be running on this bike, so I left the maximum gap. Those are 32 mm Conti Ultra Gatorskins on there now. They have a relatively low profile compared to some other tires.

Installation required patience and several dry fits to get the stays the correct length before cutting to fit.

We have 6 bikes in our family that have SKS fenders on them. They are tough and I have drilled multiple holes in some of them when switching them to a different bike or during fitting.

I picked up this pristine 2010 T2 a few weeks ago, and am thinking about trying it on a month-long tour starting next week. I only have about 300 miles on it and am a little ambivalent about taking it rather than my tried and true LHT.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-19-13 at 05:31 PM.