Old 06-19-13, 03:53 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrong
Fulton Ranch Road was part of the Livestrong challenge last year. It's only about 4/10ths of a mile but averages around 14% and maxes out at 21%. I had no idea this climb existed so it was quite a surprise. After crossing a river, I looked up the road and there was this HUGE climb about a 1/2 mile away...I started looking left and right thinking "we aren't going up that are we?" As I approached it, I saw 90% of riders off their bikes, walking to the top. I geared down to my lowest gear (30/27) and tried to find a sustainable cadence. At one point I started weaving up and also alternated between standing and sitting. I managed to make it to the top and thought..."Well...I don't think I'll ever do that climb on purpose again!"

I like long, steady climbs in the 7 - 8% range...but 14% is just plain painful.
How would you rate this Fulton Ranch Road compared to Jester Blvd? Is the 21% at the end? That would call for very well-planned strategy and conservation of energy. About a year ago I got to where I can make it up Jester without stopping. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I am 67 years old, riding compulsively the last 4 years, and can do lots of hills that I never would have dreamed of when I was a casual rider at age 37. On a hill like Jester Blvd. I feel no need to apologize for gears used ("road" bike has MTB 11-34 9speed cassette behind 53-39) or how low my speed drops. I am just happy to make it without stopping. If I should have to zig-zag, that is a little humiliating. I started to try Beauford and was put off not necessarily by the grade but the horrible pavement texture.

Don in Austin