Old 09-14-05, 07:01 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why must every thread in this forum degrade into the same few arguments?

Are we cyclists really afflicted with such minimal depth of intellect?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a thread that only has entries supportive of a certain view... If someone has read the forum for more than a day, they know all of the basic arguments. However, I hope this can also a safe place for people to talk about the best way to create bike lanes (or eliminate them) without it degrading into the same old debate about whether the basic concept is valid.

I think we should exercise some restraint to allow those wanting to exchange ideas with people of like mind the right to do so.

I think the debates are wonderful, and should continue, but there is room for mutual support as well.

This post is motivated by seeing some responses to a nice posting on the wonderful cycling available in the poster's town due to advocacy, which degraded immediately into messages proclaiming the evils of bike lanes.

Whether for, or against:

Bike Lanes
Vehicular Cycling
Critical Mass
Helmet Laws
Licensing Cyclists

YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINTS! We should all let a thread or two go by without expressing your opposing view, it will build character. I am guilty too at times, but I hope to change that.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson