View Single Post
Old 06-25-13, 08:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Looks good. I have a Blinder 4V myself. I really really do not like the silicone strap mounting though. It's OK if it happens to be what you need, but it means you have almost no way to mount the light if your needs are different than normal. Also there are multiple reports here of them breaking, and there's no way to fix it if it breaks.
Yes, it's true there's no alt mount options beyond bar and post, but for my needs, the clean, easy mounting trumps that limit. I use Portland Design Works Dangerzone lights when I need seatstay or odd angle mounting. I've been thinking of getting Niterider Solas for those kinds of apps, and moving to USB recharging, but I'm not sure I want to be chasing around a charging schedule for all the lights deployed in the house. Keeping some AA lithiums on hand and replacing as needed is much easier.

I've also heard about the straps breaking, but have not experienced it over years of Knog use from Frogs, to Boomers, to NERDs, so I can't help but wonder if it's really ham-fisted users more than anything. I've got Knog stuff mounted on all types of bikes and trailers, too, with all kinds of diameter tubing, so yeah, I'm a little skeptical of most reports.

I did read comments on a review over on Bikerumor that said Knog reformulated the material to make it more durable, but it wasn't clear if that was coming directly from Knog or what (http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/30/...r-road-lights/).

Anyway, the strap on the Road 2 headlight, at least, is replaceable.