View Single Post
Old 06-25-13, 10:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I...didn't say anything about planning the route on the smartphone itself.
You used the word "app". People understand that to mean a smartphone app. "App" is short-hand for a program on a smartphone.

For example, if you are referring to "ridewithgps.com" (a website), call it a "website" (not an "app"). Calling it an app is just going to confuse people.

I noted as "drawbacks" (not unstoppable obstacles, just drawbacks) that using a smartphone had drawbacks with battery life and screen visibility in sunlight.
This list was fine.

For the apps themselves, the drawback was that only "cue sheet" would audibly (sound) announce turn by turn directions for you.
I suppose you mean the drawback is that it doesn't say (use voice) to announce the turn (but uses some other sound). If that's what you mean, I believe that the cuesheet programmers are working on that. Note that the Garmins don't use voice either.

I agree that people would often likely choose to deal with the drawbacks to avoid spending a lot of money on a separate device. I'm just saying there are drawbacks. (And a separate device has it's own drawbacks, like needing to carry both your phone and a separate device, needing to charge both, etc etc.)
An extra $450 for a separate essentially-duplicate device is a big drawback!

Listing just the drawbacks suggests that you think there aren't any good reasons for the choice!

It's certainly useful to make drawbacks (cons) about a choice clear. Also pointing out the pros for that choice shows that you understand the whole picture. (Note that I think you do know the whole picture. I am just suggesting that you make it clear that you do!)