View Single Post
Old 06-25-13, 12:44 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hi. Scroll down a few questions on the forum and you'll find one that I started a couple weeks ago. "One leg shorter than the other" . If you are using standard/regular platform pedals, then probably nothing else is needed. (That is, if your current shoes have the necessary sole lift, as mine do.) I have the same problem as you just the opposite leg is shorter due to an accident 35 years ago. I went without altering my shoe for 30 of those years until my back finally just gave up and I couldn't walk, stand , get comfortable, work-nothing! Switched chiropractors to one using different techniques, and back in business. With the new chiropractor, measurements and weight distribution were anaylized and it was determined and verified that I needed a 17mm lift added to my right shoe. Easy for street shoes. Not so easy for cycling shoes with cleats. For the last 3 years, I have used my street shoes for cycling and have had zero issues. Now that I want to cycle more often longer distances, I wanted to switch to SPD pedals. I have done that but have not altered my shoes. I haven't noticed any issues with my back or hips for that matter either. I am riding about 100 miles per week currently. My LBS owner suggested that we drill and tap my crank arm to accomodate the shorter leg. Haven't done that yet. Custom cycling shoes were $1200-1500-not an option. I'm not a fan of addig shims to the cleat as it may correct the problem while in the saddle but once I'm off the bike the problem would actually be much worse because my toe would be abnormally up in the air and my heel severly lower, creating all kinds of strains where there doesn't need to be. Sorry to be so long winded.