View Single Post
Old 07-03-13, 11:03 AM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
How do you like the Alfine 11 so far? I was going back and forth between that and the NuVinci. I might still try an Alfine.
I have only ridden with the Alfine 11 for a couple of hours, but it seems like an upgraded Alfine 8 - more even gear spacing, and a shifting mechanism that makes more sense to me.

It's little hard for me to compare with a non-Alfine mechanism - my other bike is a carbon fibre road bike with Ultegra components, rim brakes, skinny tires, and a chain. This is a steel bike with Alfine components, disk brakes, fatter tires. and a Gates belt drive. The bikes are very different, but I don't know how much of that difference to specifically to the Alfine 11.

I like riding it more than my other bike but that's mainly due to the fact that I can just thow my leg over the this bike and ride without worrying about grease stains - and maybe the fact that my Ultegra equipped bike needs a derailleur adjustment after sitting over the winter. Let's see, it's a nice day. Do I just want to jump on this bike and ride, or do I want to dink with the derailleur on the other bike?