View Single Post
Old 07-06-13, 06:52 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robmitchell
Hi,

I have all rear seats removed from our Honda Element.
I can back the tandem in and travel with it upright with both wheels on.
I use the rear hand grab bars along the roof to strap it in place.
The rear wheel sits in the drink holder between the front seats.
It barely fits and I only do this if I have to travel to the bike shop or local ride.
It seems to me, not the smartest thing to be doing and not acceptable for road trips or 2 people.
For trips, it is the Yakima rack on top.

Rob
It's not a problem for us at all. We have an '08 Element and it's a manual transmission too. We use a front fork mount and back the tandem in. Like you mentioned the back wheel goes in the little drink holder console. If you angle the tandem in towards the passanger you'll have plenty of room. We removed the standard drivers side armrest and installed the larger removable storage armrest option. We just remove the armrest when transporting the tandem. It come right off by simply pushing a small button adn pulling it out.
The ability to transport our tandem is one of the main reasons we bought the Element. We travel long distances this way with no issues whatsoever. We'll be going to Canada in a few weeks adn then down to the Easter Tandem Rally in NJ.