View Single Post
Old 07-07-13, 07:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>I am sorry, but people like you are a real problem for legitimate authors<<<

I understand your point. In fact, I AM what you might consider a "legitimate author," with several commercially available local history books under my belt. As you can probably guess, the text in those books gets ripped off all the time. I could spend my life pursuing every guilty author, newspaper writer, school curriculum planner, and student essay writer, but I'd rather be out spending the money I've made on my books and articles to take great bicycle trips.

I suppose the worst thing I have done is to try to sell that attitude to the OP. Absolutely, I think the Internet has killed the journalism profession by giving unqualified writers the opportunity to present themselves as authorities on any subject they choose. But it has also given hobbyists like myself a chance to share my enthusiasm for certain bike routes, trails, and bike paths with people who might not be willing to spend twenty bucks for a book that will likely be outdated within a short time.

I went through the same struggle as a studio drummer in the 1990's. In one case, I was paid $5,000 to play drums on an album for SONY Records during the dawn of the "sampling" era, when the hip hop kids were stealing snippets of songs - or more often, drum beats - and making entirely new songs out of them. During the course of the recording sessions, the producer was fired and two of the most prominent dance record producers were brought in to finish up. The first thing they did was copy all of my drum tracks and re-format them into "loops" that they could trigger from a computer to create entirely new beat sequences (which could then be credited to THEM, rather than to me). The record ended up going gold in Brazil and launching the career of a major Brazilian dance artist who is still recording today. When I got my copy of the CD, I noticed that I was given "special thanks" in the credits, but that I was not listed as the drummer. And when the record started generating residuals, I received none. Rather than pawning my teeth to fight SONY's big-time lawyers, I saw the future of the music industry and got out of it within a year or two. From that point on, I decided that all my future creative efforts, including books, websites, etc., would be free of any stress associated with this new world of "fair use" and the Internet.

Personally, I don't think we can ever turn back and revive the days when an author had to qualify him or herself before getting words into print. If you feel there's still a fight to fight, power to you, man. Still, I choose to smile to myself whenever I see my words printed, verbatim, on someone else's well-intentioned website.