Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennismont
I rode with toe clips and straps for a long time, and just recently upgraded to SPD pedals that have the clip on one side and a standard platform on the other so I can go either way (Nashbar Double Track). I much prefer the clipless because to me it is easier to clip in than to fiddle with swiveling the pedal over to get into the toe clip. As far as I'm concerned, there is no issue as to whether one is safer than the other. The issue is learning to anticipate stopping and remember to pull your foot off the pedal. If you forget with either type of pedal, you are going down. The action of pulling your shoe out of a toe clip or twisting your heal out to unclip from an SPD becomes second nature after a while. It is very easy to unclip from an SPD.
I'm the same as you in that I use the pedal with the clip on one side and a standard platform on the other. I agree that the issue is primarily learning to anticipate stopping and to remember to twist your foot off the pedal, but during that learning curve it's best to use the standard platform while riding with and alongside heavy traffic, especially trucks and buses. As a former commercial truck driver for 46 years driving mainly on congested streets in highly populated areas I've seen many near misses and a few tragic incidents where a cyclist has fallen toward or into traffic because they didn't unclip in time when they stopped.