Old 07-08-13, 06:22 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Thank's 'Cat. So I tried watching Endomondo today, instead of just using it to log my ride, and that failed. Redundent info (I use a wired bike comp), map is impossible to read in the sunlight, too small, and then I bumpted off, so ost the "whole ride" logging. Tried the nav that's built into my phone, (it's ok, use it once in a while in the car) and that was pretty useless for the same reasons.

I'll just wait until next year when I get a bigger phone, and use a small handlebar bag out front.
I use the navigation and nav map app ( for traffic ) on a regular basis for work. I used to use a Garmin for finding new addresses but the Google navigation app is so simple to use that I no longer even bring the Garmin. The only feature I miss from the Garmin is the posted speed limits which the nav app doesn't include. The nav/map app which gives me standard position and traffic info I use as well ( usually for traffic info ).

Like all apps that display a screen that is changing, when the screen is left on it will drain the battery very quickly. If I turn the screen off I can let the app run and the battery will last much longer. The only time I let the screen on is when I'm on my way to work and I need traffic info for the interstate. Since I'm only on the Interstate for maybe 15 minutes I'll let the screen stay on. The color coded traffic info is pretty accurate...usually.

Of course in a car the phone battery power is rarely an issue because I always carry a cig-lighter type charger. On the bike I don't have that option. Eventually I may have to buy an external back-up battery if I want to keep my screen on for longer periods. Right now I don't have the need so it is not an issue.