Thread: Clipless Wrecks
View Single Post
Old 06-29-01, 01:52 PM
Stumon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never used clipless pedals... There's probably a support group for that, like Luddites Anonymous... "My name is Stu, and... sigh... I'm afraid of new technology...sobbb."

I used to date a girl who rode a lot, and had a clipless bike (no, I have no idea what kind of pedals or shoes, but the bike was a Cannondale.) She used to needle me about my Reebok walking shoes stuck into their Performance Bike plastic clips & straps... even though I did at least have the fashion sense to wear BLACK Reeboks. She also didn't think that my U2 concert tee was appropriate roadie wear. (She'd have smacked me if she'd known that I had FoTL briefs on under my bike shorts!)

Anyway, this girl... we'll call her Christina Marie... was rocketing back to base after a fassst dawn patrol, and a yappy little rat-dog gave chase... Now, this was on her home street, and she knew the dog and its owners. It was harmless, really. Except that this time, it ran out in front of her, and under her front wheel. She went over the bars, and, still clicked into the pedals, took a mailbox off of the post with her face, and endoed into a utility pole next to said mailbox.

The result? Two compression fractures of adjacent thoractic vertebrae, one broken jaw, one broken nose, two very very black eyes, one fractured ankle, and one dislocated hip, which later turned out to have a hairline fracture.

That was in August of 1993. She was in various braces and casts until Spring of 1994, has undergone numerous facial cosmetic surgeries, still limps noticeably... and, most importantly, swears she'll never get on a bicycle again. She sued the dog owner... and collected $14,000. Medical care, however, has cost more like $200,000.

I see her from time to time, we have dinner or catch a movie. When talk turns to bikes... which it rarely does, she first admonishes me for continuing to ride (women have this "common sense" gene that us guys seem to lack) then strongly advises me to NOT go clipless.

I NEVER say "Told ya so."