View Single Post
Old 07-09-13, 11:06 AM
Long Tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, knees......

The backstory: bought a Specialized Sequoia Elite in late May. Rode it ~360 miles in June, lots of hills. Longest ride was over 60 miles, average ride is around 25 miles.

I'm 48, 6-4" and 220 lbs. Have had an active life.

I injured my right hip badly in 1988, skiing, and it definitely has led to some body symetry issues. Also, that leg is shorter than my left leg, which is just how I'm made.

As I advance in my conditioning and aggressiveness with my riding, I'm battling my right knee a bit. There's two things going on. One pain is just to the inside of, and slightly below, the kneecap. This is a "push" pain. It'll get pretty sore around 15 miles. HOWEVER, taking a 5-minute break off the bike almost always cures it, flat out cures it. On my 60+ mile ride, at about mile 40 I was seriously concerned about the knee..... we took a good 15-minute break and viola! All better. Weird.

In my left knee (let's call it my good knee, just because that's kinda funny!) I feel some strain at that corresponding spot under heavy load, just not pain per se, so taking a glass-half-full approach, I'm thinking that the right knee getting sore in that spot is not abnormal; it's just a sign that it is getting worked hard.

The other pain I get in that right knee is more concerning... it's on the outside of the joint, pretty much right at the hinge there. This is a spot I injured last fall backpacking; stepped funny on a rock, thought "hmm, wonder if that's going to be a problem?" and yes, it was. I was able to finish the trip but it's come and gone since then. This is a pain that sometimes I never feel, is the weird thing. I've had numerous rides (half of them?) where I never feel it at all. However, if I DO start to feel it, it gets worse and worse and that's just how it is. It'll be stiff that night, then usually be fine the next day.

I know the answer here- go to a sports doctor. Ok, will set that in motion. In the meantime, if the issues I described above ring a bell for you, I'd love to hear what worked for you, diagnosis, etc.

My left leg is a cannon, a champ. If both my legs felt like THAT when I rode, I'd be able to ride every day, which would be great.

I'm at the doctor as I type this, for a final wrap-up on my head injury in '11, and I'm going to ask for a referral to a sports doctor.

Anyway... long post. Just fishing for info here.