Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I got a complete new wheel yesterday. Same as the one that came on it before. It was taken off a floor model. They did not do any spoke tensioning while I was watching. Not sure if it was done before it hit the floor. I asked specifically if adjusting spoke tension would help my issue and was told due to where it is breaking (J weld?) that tensioning won't have any effect. Is that true?
Holy smokes, the J hook is the biggest breaking point for spokes lacking tension. Especially on the drive side.

Lack of tension allows slight movement of the spoke at that at point. Like a hanger wire bent over and over, it eventually breaks.

Even if the wheel feels tight right now being new, they should check and re adjust the tension after 200 miles or so. Once they do this, the wheel should be good to go for thousands of miles if done properly.

If this shop doesn't know this or is just blowing you off, find a new shop. Find another shop and talk to the wheel guy and ask him to adjust the tension for you. As others have done, it'w worth a few extra bucks to have it done right.

I myself would find another shop, pay the guy to do it but with the agreement that he check and readjust the tension 200-300 mile down the road as well. If he is a good wheel guy, he will understand your concerns and agree. Your current shops sucks IMO. Tell them to read this thread so they know just how bad they suck!