genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's your lane, but you're still passing on the right, same as you would be if you were driving a car in the right lane of a 2 lane (4 lane) road. Filtering up when cars are stopped is one thing, but passing a rolling car is different.

BTW- this is one reason that many (including myself) have issues with bike lanes. They create confusion, with cyclists thinking as you do, that hey can do anything in the bike lane regardless of what's happening out on the road, and drivers making right turns from what is really a left lane (if the bike lane were a car lane), and not knowing if they're supposed to move over first (in some places they are, in others not).

In any case the rules of the road are one thing and common sense is another. Regardless of the local rules of the road, all users need to be aware of blind spots. The right rear quarter of most vehicles, especially SUVs is a large blind spot, so it's possible to "sneak" up on a driver that way and risk his turning across your path simply because he has no idea you're there.

Many tractor trailers have signs in the back with warnings not to pass on the right. These apply to everybody who plans on another birthday. Others have signs saying "if you can't see me, I can't see you". This is great advice. If you cannot establish eye contact with the driver, do not pass him on the right (or on the left in left turning lanes).

Sorry I disageee with you, but stop feeling so entitled, and ride smart. We all have problem encounters, but if you're having much more than average, the problem might not be your fellow road users, but you.
The confusion comes from not teaching motorists how they should act in the presence of cyclists and what a bike lane means. Motorists have no problem using and turning from bike lanes when it suits them, I see it every day.

The right hook action can happen (and does) when a cyclist takes a lane and rides in the right tire track... motorists will also attempt to drive ahead in a left lane and make a quick turn across the cyclist... I have seen it many times.

Now that said... we cyclists all know that motorists will do whatever suits them, and thus we have to act very defensively on the road... motor vehicles always win any bike/car battle.

Oh and regarding blind spots... the motorist came from behind... Joey was in front... the motorist would have to be physically blind to not know the cyclist was there... the driver chose to "race" to the corner and then turn, and of course the cyclist will always lose in such a "race."