gchad101

Bikes: Montague Crosstown, Fuji Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to convert Montague Crosstown to drops for touring

First post!

I've got a Montague Crosstown, which I picked up about a month and a half ago (as it would fit in my trunk when folded, despite large wheels) to start commuting with.

I replaced the twist shifter for a trigger shifter and quickly got up to doing 30-50 mile weekend rides and riding during the week to work but hadn't ridden a bike for nearly a decade. I'm 6' tall and 190lb and I don't lean forward past to where I feel like my hands are taking a lot of weight - but I'm having issues with numbness in my ring and pinky fingers (compressed nerve) after 30 mile rides even with some good gloves and ergo grips. Regardless, I tried bar ends for more hand positions and they didn't do enough - even putting the bar ends in the center similar to Bontrager's Touring bar ( http://bontrager.com/model/04996 ) I still spend too much time on the flats. I thought about getting clip on aero bars... but I'm not sure I like the lack of control as half my riding is in a bike lane on public roads in the morning. I think butteryfly bars just look strange - so that leaves drops.

I've never ridden a bike with drops, oddly enough. And I dislike the idea of bar end shifters.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my gameplan:
  • Get an Anatomic bar. I was thinking the Bontrager is relatively cost-effective and looks to be good sized unless someone has some other recommendations.
  • Get ST-2300 shifter/brakes - Tektro Calipers have less than 1cm of cable travel - I think this means I can use them with road levers without issue.
  • With the ST-2300, I need to replace the rear cassette from a 7speed to an 8speed. I don't know if this also impacts anything else or the easiest way to do it or if I can just get an 8sped cassette with a dished inner gear.
  • The rear Altus derailleur does not have the same travel as a road derailleur , so I think I need a new rear derailleur .
  • As I lack a front derailleur (Montague Crosstown), the other lever just functions for brakes.
  • Eventually get a clamp on front derailleur if I feel like it.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I know it would have made more sense to get a dedicated road bike, but I got it into my head I wanted another folding Bike after having my Fuji for years (even though it sat unused for so long). I am okay with the extra weight and I thought the Montague design looked/worked neat. Only complaint is bottle mounts, but I ride with a camelback when I'm not commuting (which is only 4 miles to work each way so water isn't much an issue).