Old 07-16-13, 01:53 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bike Rat
Wrong. I'm quite familiar with Texas motorcycle laws, and unless there's been a recent change, lane splitting is not addressed, therefore it is neither legal or illegal. In the absence of specific criteria, a police officer exercises their discretion and could cite reckless driving, failure to maintain lane, etc.
If no law makes it illegal, it's legal.

That said, this page from DPS says this --

19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."
  • An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
  • shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
  • may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely
... seems pretty straightforward. Lane splitting does *not* have you driving as nearly as practical in a single lane.