Old 07-16-13, 03:02 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Is this in China or the U.S.?
To add a bit to my reply to this question, in comparison cycling in the US is wonderful. That is the reality of it. In China cyclists simply do not exist unless they are in the way. You might think people in America do not look for cyclists; but it does not compare to the psychopathic inattention of the Chinese drivers.

Add to that the "quaint" American practice of using headlights. In China a motorists will turn on their headlights only if they, just plain, can not see. Buses and dump-trucks run around at night with no headlights. Last night I was nearly hit by a motor-scooter speeding along in the bike path, on the wrong side of the road, with no headlights (yes, I know, I am in China, I should have expected it). I could go on; but the main issue is that, quite literally, bicyclists have no rights. The legal assumption is that a person in a car is "more important" (the direct translation given to me). I am always happy to ride in the US, where people are generally polite and tend to obey the law.