View Single Post
Old 07-16-13, 12:41 PM
rearviewbeer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One day for me this time, got off to late start, 6am, four of us started... Guy in our group flatted about 25 minutes in, just had seen another lady flat minutes before. She ends up joining us for the ride, making 5 total. Pace was great, rotations good, all going smoothly until about 6 miles south of the Spanaway rest stop. We got behind a group that was moving at a good clip, a bit jerky, but doing about 22. Someone up front jams on brakes, line breaks, and buddy goes down into the road. Truck swerves, but the rear tire runs over his ankle! Ambulance, police, mess - sucked. We were about to throw in the towel, when he says "enjoy the rest of the ride". On we go - down to 4.
Make it to midway point a little after 12, lose gal that was riding with us (she was doing 2-day), down to 3 riders, and now very wary of joining other pace lines. About mile 110, it is evident that one in our group was not able to keep up, he drops back, we are now down to 2 riders. We leave the 140 mile stop, and agree that St Helens will be next rest. I accidentally drop him, fatigue was setting in and I zoned out and just kept pedaling. Plus the tail wind was nice, drafting was not as necessary. I make it to St Helens about 6pm, get food water, ready to go, wife says I should wait. Friend finally shows up and we hit the road about 6:35 (uggh, was hoping to be done by then). Someone tells me it is only 28 miles from there, so I plan on that, was actually 32! 2 miles from finish I hit the WALL - never experienced that before. I make it to finish about 8:15.
All things considered it was a good ride. Would have been much quicker had I not had people to worry about and an accident, but I had to remind myself it was not a race, and I was there to be social as well. Everyone involved was great, especially when the accident took place. Ride refs, police, ambulance, could not complain one bit. Wish we would have all finished together, but it is a tough one day ride!