Old 07-17-13, 12:56 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
nice looking with the new wheels and innovative. However I don't see why you would have needed the replaceable hanger for this setup. In fact you have now defeated the benefit of that replaceable hanger. I think that the drop outs are now so strong the derailleur is the weakest link hopefully. Non the less a great idea to be able to use other spaced wheels when you want. Did the two spacers equal 15mm or so you have to machine them to get the right dimensions.
We are very happy with the appearance, it now looks complete. In order to use the narrower spaced wheel the derailleur hanger had to move inboard so that it will align with the cassette. I still can replace the hanger, all I have to do is get another RH drop from Calfee and modify it.

The dropouts on our bike are right at 6.5mm thick so if the new dropouts would have been 6.5mm thick the spacing would have been 132, however the new parts are just a little over 5mm thick so I have a 135mm opening. I initially installed a washer on each side of the axle on the new wheel which made it fit perfect. When I talked to Steve at Calfee asking him about the difference in the parts he stated that the rear triangle would flex enough so as to not require the washers. I removed the washers and the wheel fits, the rear triangle does in fact flex enough for the quick release to tighten it up. The only downside is that I will have to use the middle ring more than I have in the past as the chain line in the big/big sprockets is a bit extreme.