View Single Post
Old 07-18-13, 10:50 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In addition to what has already been mentioned, you can head east on 50, then south on 114, North Cotachopa (?) Pass. The road climbs gently first through an open wash, then into a narrow and beautiful canyon next to a river. Coming out the other side of the canyon, it climbs more steeply to a fairly good elevation. You can just ride out and turn around back the way you came whenever. There are a few forest service picknic areas/campgrounds, but I don't know if they will have drinking water, so plan accordingly, there are no towns/businesses. Traffic is light -to- none.

Edit - now i see eofelis mentioned this - I have ridden it, it is quite pleasant and safe. Hwy 50 shoulders in both direction from Gunnison are generous, but traffic is fast-moving and includes big trucks, so it's not that relaxing. It's OK, though.

The best ride is probably out past Taylor Reservoir and up Cottonwood Pass, but as a flatlander without low gears, you will probably find the road past the reservoir more challenging than fun.

Last edited by valygrl; 07-18-13 at 10:54 AM.