Thread: Moving to Reno
View Single Post
Old 07-19-13, 12:47 PM
blt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I was in Reno 3 years ago. While friends were either sleeping or gambling, I rode the Verdi-Sparks section of the Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway, one afternoon from Downtown Reno to the Verdi end of the trail, the other from Downtown Reno to the Sparks end of the trail. If you are not ready for mountain roads, it is a pretty easy ride, mostly pretty gentle uphill when you are heading upstream. The most notable climb I remember was about a 1/4 mile stretch in Mogul, but not a nasty, brutish climb.

At the Verdi end, I did choose to go off the bikeway to do a little uphill riding, just to cross the state line into California. I saw all the cyclists were coming down Bridge St. in Verdi, so after I got to the "official" Verdi end of the bikeway, I came back to Bridge and went up until I crossed the state line, then turned around and went back downtown. That was probably more climbing than I did on the entire Sparks-Verdi stretch of the bikeway.

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of good places to ride in the area, but beyond the Bikeway, I've got no idea how it is to ride around town (other than that it was no big deal getting from the Silver Legacy to the bikeway and back).