genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Apples to oranges, not much of a difference.

I happen to be talking to my father about this, just 30mins. ago, and was telling him how, several bike/ped. paths in the region are adjacent to the road, where a motorist could easily go off the road and kill a cyclist and/or pedestrian, which is another reason I don't use the paths.
Huge difference... paths don't usually have cars on them... adjacent streets may.

Yes there is a path in north county area where they turned a farm road into a freeway... and then did not allow cyclists on the freeway, so they built a nice path parallel to the freeway... it is a pretty nice path too, except in a couple of spots. You can see part of that path in this google link. https://www.google.com/maps?ll=32.95...=h&dg=opt&z=17 Look for the text route 56 bike path

You can also see that route 56 path in the photos below.

And yes motorists have crashed through the fence there too... seems like folks in cars just can't seem to stay away from folks on bikes... but tell you what, I'd ride that path any day over riding a 50MPH road and taking a lane or hugging the curb or even riding in a bike lane. I used to ride that path daily when I worked in that area, and sure enough I'd see areas of the chainlink fence ripped through and wonder what some stupid motorist had done. I remember one time seeing an obvious rip from outside in to the bike path and then just a few yards up the path an obvious rip outward from the path to the highway.

There are people out there that should not be behind the wheel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2451..jpg (98.3 KB, 8 views)
100_2455..jpg (95.2 KB, 9 views)
bridge.JPG (43.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by genec; 07-19-13 at 05:24 PM.