View Single Post
Old 07-22-13, 09:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by busygizmo
I assume you've done all the climbs around Rainier. Sunrise has great views the last few miles. Chinook is pretty cool and can easily be done with Sunrise. The Stevens Canyon entrance to Paradise is nice and has less traffic than the approach from Longmire.

The road up to Mission Ridge from Wenatchee isn't long but is steep and has nice views of the Columbia when you get up a bit. I've only driven it but would like to ride it. Might be too hot right now. There are supposedly a lot of nice loops out of Wenatchee, mountains might be visible in the distance.

The two roads up toward St. Helens are nice. I've only ridden to the Johnston observatory and that was on a crappy day but the views are cool there on a nice day. Finally drove up to Windy Ridge last year and that on is on my must do list to ride but again it is going to be pushing 90F down there this weekend.

That 75 rides book has some intersting rides I'd like to do. There was a scenic loop near Omak mentioned and a steep climb outside of Ellensburg that looks good. Farther east north of Spokane there are some nice roads around Chewelah with mountain views, maybe not as spectaluar as the Cascades or Olympics.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...taineers-Books)
Thanks!

I've done everything but Stevens Canyon on Rainier. That needs to be on my list...

Have you done US 12? I've never been on that one, in a car or on a bike. I'm trying to do a hike (two-day) to Old Snowy this fall, not sure if it'll happen or not. But maybe I should do it on a long weekend and spend a day exploring the road by bike?

I haven't been to Mt St Helens, either. I have a climbing permit for October 5th to make a bid for the summit, which seems like a pretty exciting first trip tot he mountain. Perhaps going by bike first is a good idea, though. I miss scenic mountain riding.