View Single Post
Old 07-28-13, 03:40 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Starting at about mile ten, I have taken a route almost identical to this several times. I did that under crossing of I-5 at La Paz once, and Told myself there has to be better way. This is it. From where I deviate, to where I join back up. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2951348

It is a little hillier, but not too bad. The bike trail portion is more scenic and less crowded, and the street conditions are a little smoother. (I work in Irvine and usually take Barranca/MUP that turns into Muirlands.)
It's been a coupla years since I rode down to SD, so my recall of the trip is fading, especially with respect to finer points of the route. We had some really excellent leaders on that ride, so I could just follow and be mindless (something which I excel at). Too, once we got down past Irvine, we discovered that the "Bay-to-Bay MS 150" ride was in full force, and we ended up doing the equivalent of calling an audible and following that group for quite a ways. It just seemed natural. I even got my photo snapped down by Pendleton by a photographer who was taking pics of the Bay to Bay riders.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure I have been on the route you mapped. Around that same time I rode from Performance Bike in Laguna Hills down to the Ritz Carlton & back. It was a nice ride, but I haven't done it since then, as I heard that the Aliso Creek Trail was washed out around there (I-5).