View Single Post
Old 09-17-05, 04:48 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I assume you are being obtuse just to show you can be. In this context of bicycle components, alloy is synonymous with aluminum. We aren't talking general materials science here.

I was not suggesting a carbon seat post would be suitable but it most likely would be. He specifically asked if an aluminum seatpost would be suitable for his weight and I believe it would be as they have supported heavier riders quite successfully for decades. And, what does the frame material or its age have to do with the suitability of a seatpost?
The original poster doesn't seem to familiar with bike components, or their metallurgic properties. Had you stated in your post "In the context of bicycle components, alloy generally means aluminum" you would have been factually correct. Aluminum, or aluminium as it's called here, is rarely even pure aluminium. It contains traces of Zinc, Iron, and Titanium, among other elements. And even at only 97% pure, it's nto considered an alloy.

You'll find that some CF parts have a suggested weight limit, and it's not usually 275lbs. You're also right about the material and age of the bike having nothing to do with the suitability of a seatpost. I'm sure that if he's riding a 16 year old steel bike he wouldn't hesitate to drop $60+ on a carbon fiber seatpost, rather than $15-20 for an aluminum one.