View Single Post
Old 07-29-13, 07:32 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Nitto has made a lot of different stems over the years. I'm going to guess you have the equivalent of a Pearl, about 8 cm of raise available above the insertion limit. Next taller is the Technomic Deluxe. It can give you up to another 4 cm, with a 12 cm length above the insertion limit. For a true giraffe fit, the Technomic offers about 16 cm (don't know the number exactly!) of rise. I use a few Tech Deluxes on my bikes - great stems!

Probably the Tech Deluxe will give you the lift you need.
There's about 9 cm from the topmost part of the headset to the topmost part of the stem. I've no idea what model stem it is: I bought it used from Yahoo Auction (Japan's answer to eBay). When I last looked, most sellers of used stems carefully specified the reach forward but said nothing about maximum rise: I bought this one because in the photo it looked slightly taller than the stem I was then using, which was the 600 version of Shimano's silly design that makes up for its impressive lack of an external nut with (i) a hex bolt so far recessed that the hex wrench in an all-in-one tool won't reach it, and (ii) a plastic dust cover that cracks with age and needs a Portuguese replacement.