Old 07-30-13, 06:10 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
The reason I asked is, when I was reading Greg Lemond's book the other day, he talked about this and said the elbows and knees should not overlap or barely overlap (can't recall exactly). And I found this picture of him in which his elbows and knees clearly do not overlap.
I'm a long time advocate of the Guimard/LeMond fitting system and have used it with some success fitting riders for USCF competition back in the Dim & Misty Past, no reason it isn't equally effective today with an understanding of changes in technology.

That pic is one of my favorites, but it shows GL setting up for a downhill corner, hence he's slid back on the saddle and is looking through the apex so it's not a good indication of elbow/knee relationship when motoring along on the drops or sprinting.

Here's another pic w/ GL going hard. Note that his back is flat, elbows are bent and he is looking where he wants the bike to go while putting out serious watts.

Go through ALL of the previous steps in the fitting process, if you haven't done this forget the following.
Ch.4 "How to Fit Your Bike"" from "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by LeMond:
"Your elbow should be about an inch and a half from your knee."

In a sprint or on the rivet closing a gap that 1 1/2" goes away as the rider slides forward and opens up as he/she pushes back on a climb, Guimard/LeMond are looking for your "home" on the bike.

Go back through all of the fitting steps and see where you are, adjust as necessary and get the miles in to adapt.
Good that you are "doing it by the book" vs. "making it up as you go along", a methodical approach to optimal fit using a well proven system can only go so wrong.

Regards,

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LeMond_3.jpg (26.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 07-31-13 at 02:23 AM.