View Single Post
Old 07-31-13, 11:40 AM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, this post has been in the making for a couple of months really. It all started while I was out on a ride on my Superbe, and I got stopped near my house by a guy also riding by complimenting me on my bike. In the conversation I talked about how I've been slowing improving it etc. and he asked if I would be willing to do it for other people. I said sure, since I do flip a few bikes every now and then to support my little bike habit. And since we were pretty much in front of my house I just said stop by anytime. And we both peddled off.

Honestly I wasn't really expecting anything of it, especially as time wore on. But then suddenly (coincidentally the same day/time another friend was coming over to get some advice on selling his vintage 3 speed). The passer by peeks his head over my back fence while I was starting the BBQ for dinner and asked if it was a good time to bring over a couple bikes for me to look at. I said sure. Anyway a little while later he comes buy with 3 Tourists (from the hubs a 67, 73, and late 79/80 in various states of disrepair.

(sorry I didn't take any pictures of the third frame near-grrrrr) And yes the bare frame is bent (top and down tube) but I think I might try to straighten them---gotta be a first time for everything.

We talked about how much and all that, though I'm still at a loss on that. I wanted to make sure we even had working bike before I started talking about that, and after a day of cleaning and parting I'm happy to announce that one is up and running. And yesterday he stopped by and dropped off some parts that I think will get a second one up and running as well (though no seat). And thus far there have been no signs of fenders or chain guards, for the bike he wants he likes the stripped down look (I'm thinking of doing the labor for trade for the remaining parts - any replacement parts he'd pay sound fair?).

Ride is amazing having done nothing but oil the hubs, kind of like floating on a raft made of clouds floating on a river of silk, and I haven't started lubing the headset or BB yet.

I'm going to try to finishing the one bike by this week end (stupid job keeps taking up my time). Better Pics then.

Best part is that he has hinted that he has other old bikes as well just sitting around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0634.jpg (102.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0643.jpg (101.1 KB, 135 views)