Old 07-31-13, 03:13 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Don't know (or really care) what 'evidence' you feel you need before trying glucosamine/chondroitin, but MY personal experience is: it DOES work, no placebo involved. I've done straight gluco, little effect. Done gluco/chon/MSM, no EXTRA effect from the MSM. Done gluco/chon/hyaluronic acid, terrible side effects.

Being a suspicious and skeptical person, placebo effects are largely lost on me. If I try some sort of preparation for an issue, I DON'T just EXPECT it to work, I wait and see IF it does.

I'm actually GLAD there's "not a shred of evidence" -- that means the f'n FDA will leave it alone, and the cost will stay down.
I accept the reprimand, intended or not, and admit my post was needlessly brusque.

A bit of context, and I mean nothing personal in this: an "explosive" article came out recently, here: http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...405-9/fulltext

The article is called medical reversals and outlines 146 things that doctors thought were good ideas that, in the opinion of the authors, proved to be flat wrong.

I read the entire thing. As I was working down the list, there was one "blunder" after another: this thing didn't work, that thing was counterproductive, and this thing over here was a flat disaster. I imagined readers saying, "Yeah, you arrogant creeps. Think you know everything, wrong half the time, and you charge too much".

Then when I got to the entry about the ineffectiveness of glucosamine, I imagined people hopping up and yelling, "Now wait a minute!! You've gone too far!!!".

It's like the old Southern joke: watch it, preacher man, you've gone from preaching to meddling with that one".