Old 08-01-13, 09:45 AM
LabRat2k3

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Xperience

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike build thoughts/ questions

Yes I have only been riding for a month. Yes I know next to nothing about bikes. Yes I am thinking about building a bike. Makes perfect sense right
Anyways, here goes. After riding for this month I have came to realize that I very seldom ever use my front gears. I'm always in the middle ring, and only have 7 gears in the back so basically I do everything I need with a 7 speed bike. Why couldn't I find a older road bike frame, put a single gear in the front with a tooth count somewhere between my current second and third ring, and just run a 9 or 10 speed rear? I think that would make a good workout bike. Hills may be just a little harder, but I have strong legs. I may not be able to make the jump to warp speed but I have never had my bike in the top gear as it is now, by the time I get to that kind of speed there is another hill that will require a down shift. Now I'm not saying this would be a good only bike I would still want a regular road bike for longer trips and long climbs, but for a daily training bike I think it would be great. Is there something I'm missing here?
I know there is a lot about bikes that I would have to learn before undertaking this project, but I am of above average mechanical ability I believe and can learn just about anything I make my mind up to do. So what are the flaws in my way of thinking? I'd really like to know what you think. I am very thick skinned of if it is a stupid idea say so, I can handle it.