Old 09-18-05, 10:30 AM
psn
Physics Junkie

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, GT Pulse, Specialized S-Works E5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just curious where you guys are even seeing all these pictures of the bikes...I looked on the "factory tour" photo album and the only bikes I saw there had standard, i.e. not integrated, headsets and lugs that seemed to be pretty modest, nothing insanely ornate.

Anyway, those bikes looked just fine (to me). They're not really my cup of tea because I'm not a lug guy (witness the (Welded) Steel Shoot-Out thread), but that's just a style thing.

Technically, the rear wishbone design is potentially weaker than the standard two seat stays + a bridge design (as triangles generally make a structure more rigid), but if the builder designed it properly, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't see anything with the materials that would make the bike weaker. If you like it, dustin, just buy one.

As for style issues - I, for one, like the way GT's triple triangle looks. Does that make me a weirdo? Maybe. It might have some technical advantages (additional rigidity in the seat stays), but I primarily like it because it's *different* and catches my eye in a way that other frames don't (which is why I'm pursuing this one on eBay). To each, his/her own.