View Single Post
Old 09-18-05, 11:21 AM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xspace
So...what do you guys carry in those little under-the-seat pouches?

Some kind of tire repair kit, sure...don't want to have to walk the bike back, but what else? A spare tube? One of those high-tech multi-tools? Do you really need one of those on the road? Aren't they screaming out to be stolen? What about a pump? How are those cool-looking little CO2 gadgets?

I found a lite bike-lock I can live with, the Kryptonite Kryptogrip. About $20, and about as light and compact as I've seen (wouldn't trust it in the city though.)

Finally...bikes no longer come with kickstands, it seems. Other than very carefully leaning your bike up against something, how do you keep it from um...falling over? Remember the "flickstand"? (Still have one on my old, beloved Vista Espada which I'm now having restored by my local LBS to use as my "loaner.")

Thanks,

Hal
A wedge bag wasn't holding all the stuff I wanted to carry so I found a saddle-loop bag.

- slim wallet w/palm pilot/ID&ATM cards (Palm dealio has a bunch of e-books for killin' time in parks and such - current reads: "Around the World on a Bicycle vol.1" and Thoreau's "Walden"
- digital camera
- spare tube in a metal tin to prevent damage
- patch kit (the glue type)
- a spoke wrench in with the patch kit
- two tiny, folding plastic tire irons
- assorted zip-ties
- spare chain-link & spare SRAM Powerlink
- Nato lifeboat matches (waterproof)
- mini chain tool, adjustable wrench, Allen wrench set, digital tire gauge
- tiny multi-tool w/LED light, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutter (this is next to useless except for the screwdrivers)
- Park glueless patch kit (one use: the little plastic case holds a 25-cent coin perfectly
- Western Union free Long Distance phone voucher (for emergency calls from a payphone)
- mini-Sharpie indellible marker

- snack food/energy gels/bars, gorp etc
On the front bottle cage: an SKS Wese pump (tiny, good to 140psi)
I feel nekkid without any of that stuff.

My bike came with a kick stand.