View Single Post
Old 08-02-13, 01:13 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Schwalbe Ultremo 406 on the front?

I got a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 406 tires as front tires on my 2013 Catrike 700. I replaced them almost immediately because it was pretty obvious that they were specifically designed for racing and not for someone who rides roads in the desert where thorns are sometimes a problem. They are feather light and have very little thickness where the rubber meets the road. Before I took them off, I looked up the price at several online recumbent stores and tire stores. If they were available, the cost was $75 each. The pressure range on them is 85 to 160 psi. I replaced them with some Mitsubishi Tioga tires that are wider, heavier, very much cheaper, and have visible tread on them. I haven't had any flats in just about 1,200 miles on the Tiogas. The rear tire, a 700C X23 Schwalbe Durano lasted 300 miles before developing sidewall failure. The Kenda Kadence tire that replaced the Durano had it's first flats at 900 miles and obviously a much tougher sidewall as there is no problem at all with the tire after the tube was repaired. I've purchased Schwalbe tires in the past but I don't see any in my future. In my personal experience the durability doesn't match the price they get for them.