View Single Post
Old 08-02-13, 04:14 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I may, unexpectedly, have need of a folder bike. We have a Dahon Boardwalk that hasn't been too impressive, i.e. no-one ever rides it unless we fob it off on a guest. But I know there are plenty of other folders out there.

My main commute bike is a '80s steel oldie racer, 25mm 700C, 53/39 and 12-26, drop bars below saddle, about 26 lbs w/ full lights, pump, fenders.

What is the folder that will ride and feel as close to that as possible? But still folds up small enough to bring on a train or bus?

Just looking around, I'm not seeing a folder with drop bars or a saddle-to-bar drop.
The Airnmal Chameleon would ride 'close as possible'... it would be lighter and more comfortable (due to the rear elastomer) .. would be fine for trains like Amtrak, or touring buses.. a little cumbersome for a day in day out commuter bus as the front wheel is removed for folding..

Another option is a Pacific Reach Road .. same folding style as the Airnimal but with elastomer front and rear suspension .. this bike would be a fast, comfortable ride.. I own both bikes..

One reason you don't see too many successful drop bar conversions on long stemmed Dahons is the steerer is so long.. so there is lots of flex... much more leverage with drops than flat bars...