Old 08-04-13, 08:04 AM
bikedoofus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I mean no disrespect, but you have not ruled out maladjustment. Even cheap caliper brakes can stand a bike up on the front wheel. When properly adjusted.
No disrespect taken! You may rest assured that I have.

Yes cheap brakes can lock the front wheel and so can mine, but that's not the goal. I want to be able to do so from my normal riding position (not on the drops) with little effort and with control up to the point of locking the wheel. My current brakes will lock the wheel but only on the drops (so I have to move my hand whilst also trying to swerve to avoid the car that's pulling across the road unannounced) and I have to heave on the things. In the wet they're worse still. Changing the bars (which I will do first) may alleviate a lot of this and the required new levers may increase the possible leverage, plus a higher riding position will allow me to move my weight further back when putting on the anchors which will help. Maybe after changing the bars I'll be happier with the brakes, but this would be a happy surprise.

BTW I've done the conversion into ye olde imperial, 99kg = 218lb. Think your average road rider, but with a 50lb bag of bricks on his back.

I have thought about selling it but I'm quite attached to it as it was a birthday present my whole family pitched in to buy.