Old 08-05-13, 03:23 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friend of mine just this afternoon proudly showed me her new bike purchase - about $350 (on sale - closeout) from REI. I told her what a great deal it was. Explained to her to be alittle careful shoving the bike in her truck (as the parts might break), how to hook up her brakes (V-brakes) and what to do about her tires (shrader - I only have presta pumps) and that I can't wait to ride with her. We, on more expensive bikes, are snobs... just remember that. I alway remind my snobby friends that the people like my friend are at least out riding and in effect, putting in more effort than us so we should all shut up about how cheap the bikes are! It's a bike - just get out and ride; who cares if its top of the line or Walmart basic...

Edited to add: Cheap mountain bikes taken off road and used for drops, jumps and steep descents are dangerous (I have a friend on a Wally World bike land in the hospital 5 days because the bike blew apart on a drop). That is where I would put my foot down about saving a buck. If that is plan than save up and invest in a bike capable of the abuse. If that is what you can afford, then ride responsibly and know what the bike can handle.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-05-13 at 03:27 PM.