Old 08-05-13, 10:55 PM
fixin2ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What comes first? Joint failure (TIG vs Lug) or rust...

So my basic question is do modern bikes last like their predecessors? I've been debating hard on which wabi cycle to get: Classic or special. They both use Reynolds 725, the difference of course being TIG welded or lugged frame. I've read pages and pages of arguments that really just leads to a stalemate in whether or not it matters if the joining method is welding or using lugs. I want to get a lugged frame but I'm thinking to myself, if most mountain bikes which are meant to take abuse are TIG welded then why wouldn't TIG welds hold up on a road bike? I really can't justify paying 200+ dollars for barely noticeable lugs (at least on the wabi) unless they serve some sort of additional purpose. Then I pondered the issue of having my bike for the long run when I started leaning towards lugs again and I thought to myself if I'm on the east coast and have to deal with all four seasons to include lots of snow and salted roads; how much longevity can I really expect from my frame even with proper care? I know there are bikes around from the 70s and 80s but from what I read that type of steel (reynolds 531 I believe) is no longer being used. How realistic is it to expect a modern bike to last a theoretical 'lifetime'? Thanks for your time in advanced.

http://www.wabicycles.com/bike_main_pg2011.html