Old 08-06-13, 03:27 AM
TurboJ

Bikes: '95 Fausto Coppi, '88 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2013 Power Shift for double chainrings (as the Veloce I have) has 4 clicks on the finger paddle, and 2 on the thumb lever. If you shift from small to big, it takes three clicks, and one thumb click back to small. If you switch 4 clicks from small to big, you are on the 'trimmed to the right' big ring position. Then it takes 2 thumb clicks to get back on to the small ring.

OK, my system always shifts from small to big in 3 clicks. This is how it's supposed to be according to Campy.. But what is the fourth click for? It has to be there for a reason. Now then, if I use the trim function on the big ring, I can get the cage clear the chain much more easily, but I risk the chain overshifting onto the cranks (over the big ring) if I accidently sweep the finger lever over the 3 clicks position when switching from small to big. I still don't know if I should leave room for 4 clicks or not.

FD is not damaged, all my parts are brand new, straight out of factory boxes.

BTW, I raised the FD position some 0.5 mm and now the chain doesn't drop over the small ring quite as often. This made me confident enough to take the bike on its first run.
I did a 15-mile run and tested different gear combinations as much as I could. The chain jumped off the small ring only once. So I must be on the right track, but there is work to be done still....

As for the angle of the cage, I don't know if it's 100% parallel to the chainrings or not. The outer cage face is be easy enough to set that way, but the inner face itself isn't straight, it's curved in many different directions so I don't know which layer I should set it to be parallel by.

Last edited by TurboJ; 08-06-13 at 03:36 AM.