Old 09-18-05, 10:26 PM
chrisesposito

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stomach upset from swallowing lake water?

Did my 3rd sprint tri this morning, which had a few good parts (my first 1/2 mile swim in a race, and second ever; first ride on the new Cervelo) and a few not so good parts. Each of the age group waves was pretty big, and the water was a bit rougher. Couple that with the length of the swim, and I wound up swallowing a bit more water than in the last 2 races. I hurriedly ate 2 Powergels and electrolytes and drank some water during T1 and on the bike to wash it all down; this has worked successfully during the last 2 tris. Just as I got off the bike I got hit with some nasty stomach cramps / nausea that lasted for the 1st half of the run. It felt like my stomach hadn't emptied during the bike leg - I could almost swear I heard the sloshing.

I slowed down during the 1st half of the run and then felt much better for the last 1.5 miles. Ten yards to the finish and my right quad and hamstring cramp; I grit my teeth and finish. With me this is usually a sign of low electrolytes, but since I took a dose that usually prevents this, it seems to support the notion that my stomach simply shut down during the bike leg.

Anybody else have any gastric problems after swallowing lake water?

Chris

P.S. H2OChick did the same tri and was probably top 5 in her age group swim leg. An awesome performance.