View Single Post
Old 08-06-13, 06:05 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
To reiterate the reason I started this thread, it is about the fact that I see so many different names out there on components that I would have no idea new or used what the heck they are or whether they are good or not.

The thread "Quality Parts" which seems to have been influenced by my thread here shows exactly what I'm talking about and what is so confusing. I think I counted no less than 29 component names just for derailleurs in there obviously all of differing quality since that is what the question asks about. How is someone suppose to get their head around that versus buying a Dick's Sporting Goods store Diamondback when the Diamondback has all the same at least style of the good stuff (disk brakes, trigger shifters...)

Understanding photography is a breeze compared to bikes, at least with equipment since there is only really 4 main manufacturers to worry about and very specific model levels with even the most basic model of the 4 main manufacturers being outstanding quality (unlike my Wallyworld bike with its Shimano derailleurs, same manufacturer of the good stuff but garbage.)