View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 12:48 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Dogs ON a leash whose owners allow them to cross the path making a nice trip wire for cyclist and walkers both

AND

Dog owners who cannot keep their dogs from lunging at bikes or people or other animals and who can barely control their animals while on the leash. Either train them or stop walking them. Allowing them to lunge and pull repeatedly and constantly is not good for you OR them. I'm a dog lover and would NOT allow any animal of mine to extend their leash or lunge at bikers or pedestrians. If I could not control the animal I would not walk in in public.

STORY: I passed a woman walking a miniature something-or-other, it was probably no more than 3 pounds tops, it WAS on a leash, the leash was fully extended to what, fifteen feet? Whatever those thin retractable leashes extend out to. She was walking WITH traffic (first strike), allowed the dog to extend the leash (second strike) and then allowing the animal to walk in the MIDDLE of the street (strike three!). I damn near ran over the leash before I spotted it, then the dog, had to swerve way into the wrong lane, NO traffic thankfully. So that's: The leash was practically invisible, they were on the wrong side of the street (walkers should always FACE traffic) and the dog was minuscule and dark haired - looked like the pavement. Then she started to yell at ME when I slammed on the brakes and swerved and cried out (OMYGOAWD!).

My rule in these situations is to swerve directly at the dog walker.